For Parents and Guardians
Though the internet can be an excellent place for accessing assignments, conducting research, and furthering education, it is often a realm that can be too vast for student activities. This raises the question:
"How do I ensure that my child is accessing the internet safely and appropriately?"
Lodi Unified School District utilizes the Securly Web Filter to help maintain a safe and effective learning environment for students on their Chromebooks. The Securly Web Filter is designed to give students the ability to browse the web safely while filtering out certain web pages that contain subject matter that is deemed inappropriate for school. Simply put, Securly filters out the bad pages so that only the good pages are accessible to students. Parents should note, however, that due to the vast nature of the Internet, it is impossible to filter out everything. Parents are encouraged to talk with their children about proper internet usage to help suppress the cases that can sometimes slip through the filter. Parents and guardians together with Securly can help ensure that students are browsing the web safely.
- Communicate expectations for the types of resources your student accesses online and for interacting with others online in a kind, respectful, and safe manner.
- Only allow electronic device use in common rooms of the home (e.g. living room or kitchen) and not in bedrooms.
- Develop a set of rules or expectations for electronic device use at home. Some websites provide parent & child agreements for you to sign.
- Demonstrate a genuine interest in what your child is doing on the device. Ask questions and request to see their work often.
- View your child's Google Drive to check on work progress. If you have your own device like a smartphone, computer, or tablet, and a Google (Gmail) account, you can access your child's Google Drive to look at the work they have been doing at school (including comments from teachers and peers).
- Investigate and apply paternal controls available through your Internet Service Provider and/or your wireless router.
- Put all electronic devices "to bed" for the night at a designated time. This is a great way to ensure the Chromebook and other device features require an Internet connection to function. When offline, the Chromebook can access the Google Docs suite and not much more. Turning off your home WiFi at night can prevent late night YouTube sessions or chatting with friends at inappropriate times.