AB 104 Information

About AB 104

State Assembly Bill (AB) 104 provides options for students and parents/guardians to address learning recovery needs. Each area of the new law is described below.

About Retention

Parents/guardians of students enrolled in kindergarten through 11th grade during the 2020-21 school year who received deficient grades for at least one-half of the coursework in 2020-21 may provide a written request to the school for a meeting to discuss student retention for the 2021-22 school year.

Staff will meet with the parent/guardian and student to discuss learning recovery options, research regarding retention, and data regarding student progress. The District has the final decision. If you are interested in a discussion regarding retention, please contact your child’s school.

Parents/guardians of eligible students must request the retention consultation in writing. Districts then have 30 calendar days to hold the consultation and 10 calendar days after that meeting to issue a final decision.

How to Request Retention Consultation

If you would like to request a retention consultation for your “eligible child” (a student who has received deficient grades for at least one-half of the student's coursework in the 2020-21 academic year), please fill out and submit a request form:

You will be contacted and a consultation meeting will be held within 30 calendar days after submitting your request.

Grading - Pass/No Pass

Students who were enrolled in high school during the 2020-21 school year may apply to have one or more letter grades replaced with a Pass/No Pass Grade. 

Assembly Bill (AB) 167 extended the deadline for the Pass/No Pass grade change. AB 167 amended Education Code Section 49066.5 stating that if a grade change application has been submitted to the pupil's school district after the deadline that was established from AB 104, it shall be accepted by the school district if the application is received on or before October 1, 2021. In addition, school districts may extend the deadline longer. Lodi Unified has established a deadline of December 3, 2021.

CDE developed an application for students to request the change.  Please use the below application. 

For the 2020–21 through 2023–24 school year, the following postsecondary institutions that will accept, for admission purposes, a transcript with a Pass/No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for an applicant pursuant to Education Code Section 49066.5(b).

Official Postsecondary Institution Name

  • California State University, Bakersfield
  • California State University Channel Islands
  • California State University, Chico
  • California State University, Dominguez Hills
  • California State University, East Bay
  • California State University, Fresno
  • California State University, Fullerton
  • Humboldt State University
  • California State University, Long Beach
  • California State University, Los Angeles
  • California State University Maritime Academy
  • California State University, Monterey Bay
  • California State University, Northridge
  • California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
  • California State University, Sacramento
  • California State University, San Bernardino
  • San Diego State University
  • San Francisco State University
  • San José State University
  • California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
  • California State University San Marcos
  • Sonoma State University
  • California State University, Stanislaus
  • Saint Mary's College of California
  • Holy Names University
  • Pitzer College
  • University of La Verne
  • Westmont College
  • Santa Clara University
  • University of Saint Katherine
  • University of Southern California
  • ArtCenter College of Design
  • California Baptist University
  • University of San Francisco
  • La Sierra University
  • University of California
  • Mount Saint Mary's University

Some higher education institutions, including those from other states, may not accept Pass/No Pass Grades. 


Students enrolled in their 3rd or 4th year of high school during the 2020-21 school year and who are not on track to graduate in four years, will be provided the opportunity to complete the state graduation requirements to graduate. Options can include, but are not limited to, a fifth year of instruction or credit recovery. We are in the process of identifying eligible students and will provide more information as it becomes available.

Updated 11/01/2021


Please contact your school site with any additional questions you may have.